Tuesday, April 29, 2008

Skimming the surface

When I was a little girl, I was fascinated by my dad's ability to skip rocks across the surface of the water. I remember him teaching me how to pick a smooth, flat rock from the many that littered the beach and showing me how to curl my finger around the edge. He taught me how throw it hard and low so it would have the right speed and angle to bounce across the water several times before finally losing its momentum and slowly descending to the bottom of the lake.

Lately I've felt a little bit like those rocks...like I'm just skimming the surface. I know that I'm missing out on the depth, but at the same time, I'm not really sure how to change it.

I crave more in so many areas of my life - more depth to relationships, more spirituality, more knowledge and understanding, more compassion - but how does one go about adding all of this "more"? How do you find the time to really seek it when there's so much other junk that screams for your attention?

Life seems so busy. There are innumerable ways to use the time we have; so many options continually at our fingertips. It's easy to get caught up in all the day to day "to do's"; to sprint from task to task without ever really stopping to think about what we're doing and whether it's really important. Or sometimes we know what's important, but for whatever reason, we end up avoiding it or just putting it off.

This whole issue has been occupying an inordinate number of my thoughts lately...and I still haven't come up with any conclusions on how to remedy things, aside from learning how to live without sleep, that is. (Even with as as much practice as I've had, I'm not very good at that one.)

If you have any suggestions...I'm all ears.

In the meantime, I'll be skimming along the surface of things, trying to figure out how to slow down enough to finally get some depth.

No comments: