Wednesday, April 2, 2008

It begins...

Dad started chemo yesterday.

They hadn't gotten the biopsy results back yet, so we were all thinking they would put it off until next week. So imagine my surprise when I get a text from my sister J. in the middle of my meeting telling me that dad was starting chemo right then.

I didn't take it well.

I managed to hold it together for the rest of the meeting, then promptly came back to my cube, called my sis to get some of the details, hung up and started crying. (You know that whole "it hit me like a ton of bricks" thing? Yeah. That's what happened.)

We did the chemo thing with Matt's dad a couple of years ago so we're semi-familiar with how the whole thing goes. But I'm not sure whether that makes the whole idea easier or harder to deal with.

Talking to dad tonight made me feel better though. He sounded more like himself than he has for a month. He was so chipper and happy. I felt all my worry wash away just hearing him talk.

I know that he will have more bad days and the worry will all come back, but it's nice to know that there are also some really good days to balance those out a little.

No comments: