Tuesday, October 21, 2008

Punkin' Pickin'

Daddy and his girls.

Last Friday we went on our annual trip to the local farmer's to pick punkins. (For some reason I cannot get my kids to say puMPkin correctly. It always comes out punkin.) We started going to a nearby patch when Kenna was just tiny and they have always loved it. It has been a fun family tradition that the kids look forward to every year.

Gratuitous cute baby picture.

This time we went to a different spot. There is a grower a little bit closer to our house. They have a lot of tractors for the kids to play on and take pictures with, as well as a small corn maze. (Which we didn't get to go through because Alyssa was being CRANKY. I hate the transition phase between nap and no nap. This child does not handle it well.)

See... CRANKY

It seemed like the girls picked up every pumpkin they could carry. We ended up with more than we needed, but it was so fun to watch the kids run from row to row checking out all the pumpkins to find just the perfect one (or five...). Liam and I hung out while Matt chased McKenna and Alyssa around the patch and hauled everything back to the wheelbarrow.

Debating the virtues of the 20th pumpkin they've looked at in 3 minutes...

Attempt at a self portrait. Not as good at it as NieNie.
My husband is the photographer...but I always end up taking the pictures.
Go figure. I just want my kids to know that I actually showed up.

I really liked this new place. Mostly because instead of actually weighing the pumpkins here like they did at the patch we've been to before, there were just a couple of teenage boys standing there eyeing people's wheelbarrows and haggling between themselves about how much to charge. I'm not sure if there was any rhyme or reason to it. When it was our turn, the one kid looked in the wheelbarrow and gave us a price. The other one was still trying to tally things up as we paid, got our change and walked away. Let's just say that we ended up paying a lot less than we have in the past. Always a bonus...

Look! A smile!

I had to hand Liam off to dad for a minute. That kid is HEAVY.
He was so excited to be there he could hardly contain himself.


Our haul.

As soon as we get them carved, we are officially ready for Halloween.

Let's just get the birthday party out of the way first.

(Have I mentioned how I don't like parties?)

4 comments:

ejrowsell said...

FUN!!! We went to a nursery to get our pumpkins this year - WOW - I WAY overpaid. But it was fun and they had cute wooden cutouts the kids could stick their head through for pictures... That's what it is really all about, right - snapping the perfect picture.
My kids will always know their dad was there - I will have to remind them I was the one behind the camera.... ;-)
No, you've NEVER mentioned you hated parties BEFORE!

Carrie said...

We have yet to go pick our punkin. :) This year is just going so fast. I'm not ready for all the holidays and birthdays. It dawned on me today that our ward halloween party is tomorrow and we don't have costumes. Christiana wants to be Violet from the Incredibles again (hopefully it will fit) but Hunter wants to be a Skeleton, and I don't know what to do with Jonathan or Jade so no costumes there. Should be a fun night! :)

Anonymous said...

What a great tradition. So much better than just getting one from the grocery store. I love all the pics. Everyone looks so good (except the scowl from cranky pants). She is still cute anyway.

Heather H said...

Too cute!!