Tuesday, September 23, 2008

Guinea Pigs

My parents were the unwitting subjects of one of my culinary experiments last night. I had called them on Sunday to see if they wanted to come over for dinner. But my sister Lori beat me to the punch (Curses!) so we had to take a raincheck until last night.

Wonderful people that they are, they consented to try a new recipe I came up with, but that might have more to do with the fact that their kitchen is currently being torn up (to install new tile!) and they can't get to their appliances to make their own food. Either that or the irresistible pull of grandchildren, take your pick.

While Grandma and I chatted and cooked, the girls dragged Grandpa around the house and up to their room. Apparently they told him all kinds of stories about the planets like how Mercury and Venus ran away to get married. How sordid! (They have been a little obsessed with planets lately. Kenna even had her own "Planet Day" a few weeks ago where we were only allowed to do planet related things all day. We didn't get to go to the "Plantearian" like she wanted, but we did watch our Planet documentary DVDs and she drew planet pictures ALL DAY.) Poor Grandpa.

We had won tons made with ground turkey, baked instead of fried. They turned out pretty well if I do say so myself. There are a few minor tweaks that I will make to the recipe (thanks for the suggestions mom!) but I will definitely make them again. It was a good change from the normal routine, and Alyssa scarfed them down (it's a major accomplishment to get her to eat anything these days).

After dinner, the girls insisted on Grandma and Grandpa staying long enough to watch a movie. We picked one of the Wallace and Grommit shorts, during which Kenna acted as a play-by-play announcer and built-in laugh track. (Her giggle is so contagious!) By the time it was over, it was getting late and Grandma and Grandpa had to go. We were sad for them to leave (i.e. the girls SOBBED as they watched them drive away) but happy to have them come over.

I'm so glad that we live close. The girls ADORE them and I miss them so much when they are away.

Besides...who else would have agreed to be my guinea pigs?

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

I think I would like to be a guinea pig to that meal. Sounds interesting. Is it hard to do?

Jacy said...

Not hard at all! Just bake at about 400 degrees for about 8 minutes on each side. You can put pretty much any meat mixture on the inside that you want. I'd be happy to give you the recipe or try them out with you next time you're in town.