Wednesday, March 19, 2008

Is it okay to lie when teaching your child about honesty?

Seriously, is it?

When Matt dropped off the girls today, he mentioned that Kenna had been played the XBox this morning and that she'd probably want to play some more, but that she told him not to tell me.

I got in the car with the kids and Kenna immediately asks if she can play "Lego Blocks" when we get home because she hasn't gotten to play today. I told her that I knew she had played already, but it was still okay if she wanted to play a little longer (she isn't feeling well...). I start telling her about how she needs to be honest and that it makes me sad when she doesn't tell the truth.

Then she asks, "How did you know I played this morning, Mommy."

long pause while I'm considering this: Do I tell her Daddy told me you did and have her not trust her dad...or do I lie to her while I'm trying to teach her not to do that very thing.

PARENTING DILEMMA

I opted for the lie. I know, I'm horrible. See this post.

The most plausible thing I could come up with on short notice? "Mommy just knows, sweetheart." (Yeah, I'm good like that...)

And to make sure I felt guilty she added, "Is that because mommies and daddies are just smart and know things like that?"

No comments: