Tuesday, January 20, 2009

Inaguaration Day

I really wanted to watch the inauguration today. Too bad work has to interrupt my TV viewing schedule. I did get to see snippets of it when I was at my parents' house this evening. (Sidenote: Is it just me or does Obama sort of sound like a preacher? Something about the intonation he uses and the inflection in his voice.)

I was amazed at the number of people that turned out for the actual ceremony. It will be interesting to see what he does with all the support he has right now. Because of the way Obama sold his ticket on the campaign trail, it seems like he is sort of the people's last hope for government to prove that they are trustworthy and will come through on their promises. He has made so many promises and instilled that Hope into so many I just wonder - what happens if he can't follow through?

I don't envy his position. What a weight to carry on the shoulders of one man! Although he has great power, he can't follow through on anything without many other people supporting laws and bills the way they are written. Is it wrong to put all of the responsibility for getting it done squarely on his shoulders?

Wrong or not, it appears that the entire country, and much of the rest of the world, is now looking to him to solve a LOT of big problems. As much as I disagree with some of his politics, I sincerely hope that he is able to follow through. I pray for him, and those that surround him, to have the strength, insight and support that they need to effect the changes we need to get back on our feet.

1 comment:

Jenny said...

I am with you in that I disagree with some of his politics, but as much as he was not my candidate, he is now my President and I will offer him all the support and prayers I can muster. This country needs help and I hope, like you say, that he takes the amazing support he seems to have and accomplishes amazing things. I really did love his speech yesterday.