Wednesday, August 20, 2008

Savor the moment

Just so you know...Having a brood of sick children is detrimental to blogging.

I know, I know...it comes as a big surprise. After all, you should be able to just sit and wipe a snotty nose here and there or give a hug or two and everyone should be happy vegetating on the couch. You would think that would leave plenty of time for internet surfing and blog typing. Not so, my friend.

It pretty much sucks the life out of you and anyone else that haplessly wanders by.

So much so that YOU get sick.

And then there's no one there to wipe your nose and give you a hug and WHY IN THE WORLD would they let you sit on the couch and vegetate when they all feel better and have been cooped up in the house for a week and a half.

And you start feeling very sorry for yourself...

And then...

Things happen to remind you how you should be grateful for all these snot covered moments.

I don't know if you blog stalk like I do, but there are quite a few that I like to read when I have the time. A couple of those are C Jane and her sister Nienie.

This last weekend Nienie and her husband were in a horrible plane crash. The pilot passed away shortly after arriving at the hospital and Nienie (Stephanie) and her husband (Christian) are suffering from serious burns among other things.

There's more to the story if you care to follow the links, but it has effected me more than I would have thought (since I've never actually met them).

It has raised so many questions in my mind: What would I do if something like that happened to me, or Matt...or both of us? So many questions, and not enough answers. I have pondered a lot about their situation and their little family and me heart goes out to them and all those that love them. How quickly life changes...

As I was thinking about them and the questions their situation has brought to my mind, I got a text message from my brother-in-law.

It appears that the excitement about the kidney transplant for Angie was premature. Matt's little brother Aaron is no longer a match...which means we are searching for a donor again. It's tough news to take, especially after she has come so far and done so much knowing that a kidney was waiting for her as soon as she was well enough.

It is still sinking in.

Out of the few coherent thoughts that I've had about it all, I'm most keenly aware that life is a very precious, very delicate thing. And sometimes it takes things like these to remind us of it.

Every moment is one that we should savor...

...even if it's covered in snot.

No comments: