Thursday, August 7, 2008

First Day of School!

Monday we took the girls to their preschool open house. Aside from Kenna being upset that her classroom wasn't the right color (OH TRAGEDY!) it was a big success. The teachers seemed very capable, the staff was nice and the school is new and clean.

School starts today. They were so excited yesterday they could hardly keep still. All afternoon they were bombarding me with questions about school, mostly consisting of stuff like:

"Mom, when do I go to school again?"
"If I go to sleep right now can I go to school when I wake up?"
"Why can't I go to school right now?"
"Why can't I go to school every day?"
ETC.

I'm excited for them too...but this is one of the days it REALLY sucks (more than normal) to be a working mom. I won't be there to send them off this morning. And that kind of breaks my heart a little. I want to be there to get them all dressed up and do their hair and cry as I wave from the doorway and all the other silly sappy stuff that moms are supposed to do on the first day of school.

Not that Matt isn't completely capable...(minus the hair part, although I did remind him to brush it before I left this morning). And maybe they won't even care that I wasn't there this morning.

But my babies are growing up...

And it makes me sad...

Because I feel like I'm missing a lot if it...

I just hope that someday they can understand why we've had to do things the way we do and how hard we've tried to make their childhood the best experience we can.

And...that I can take advantage of all the moments that we DO have together. They are over way too soon.

2 comments:

Heather H said...

Big hugs to you today!! Olivia starts preschool in a little less then two weeks so I totally understand, well except that I will get to be the one fighting her to get dressed, eat breakfast, let me do her hair, drive her there all before I am usually showered. Ummm, yeah see what you are missing, maybe I should join the workforce! :)

Carrie said...

I am so sorry that is hard. I have to thank you though for reminding me of the things I get to do because I can stay home. I have been so frustrated with my kids so much lately, I had forgotten all the things I get to experience because I'm home. I am TRUELY sorry you have to miss these times, thank you for blogging them so that the rest of us can remember the blessings we have which sometimes get lost in the day to day grind of motherhood. I love you!!