Wednesday, May 14, 2008

Knock, Knock

What is it about young children that makes random knock-knock jokes so hilariously funny?

This is what I was subjected to at the dinner table tonight...well, every night really.

Knock, knock
Who's there?
Peez
Peez who?
Pizza pizza peez.

Knock, knock
Who's there?
Banana
Banana who?
Banana orange apple.

(and about 300 more variations of the same...)

The girls burst into fits of laughter after every single one of these and I'm left feeling like a totally clueless idiot because I just do not get why any of these are funny.

Maybe it's funny because they know they are ever so slowly driving me insane.

And this goes on for hours, HOURS I tell you - wafting up the stairs while they are in the playroom, echoing down the halls from the bathroom, coming through the vents after I have put them to bed. No matter how nonsensical the punchline is, it is always uproariously funny to 2 and 4 year olds.

The MADNESS.

The only good thing about this is that they are not screaming at each other. I'll give up my sanity in exchange for my eardrums any day.

No comments: